Global Composites 2018 brings together an international audience of decision makers and experts to explore the opportunities and challenges presented by the composites industry on a global level.
This unique conference will provide a strategic insight on subjects relating to the advancement and use of composite materials worldwide, including operating and growing a composites business, as well as the experiences, opportunities and challenges faced on a global level across multiple territories.
Wednesday, June 27:
1:00 pm – 1:15 pm: Opening Remarks
The leaders of both of the organizations producing the first Global Composites Conference welcome you, and also share their insights and perspectives on why it’s more important now than ever that the composites industry becomes more cohesive and works together to increase the use of composites across various market segments.
- Tom Dobbins, President ACMA
- Siobhan Longhurst, NetComposites
1:15 pm – 3:00 pm- Keynote Topic: Standardizing the Global Supply Chain: Automotive and Aerospace Viewpoints
Hear from OEMs on what the composites industry needs to do to help influence the material selection process, and what it is looking for from its supply chain partners, including standardization, manufacturing capabilities, sustainability. Following the presentations, a moderated panel discussion will take place.
- Hamid Kia, Group Manager, Polymer Composites, General Motors
3:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Exhibit Displays and Networking Break
Visit with fellow attendees and exhibitors, form new relationships and share your challenges and ideas with one another. Some of the best ideas come from informal discussions!
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Creating Global Networks One Strategic Partnership at a Time
Whether it’s a supply chain, a distribution network, a collaborative R&D program, or some sort of joint venture, what are the best approaches to establishing an effective international network? Companies need to have strong intelligence, consultants, partners, and customers to move into a new regional market, and they need to understand nuances in cultures. This session will focus on building the team necessary to move into a new market, and do’s and don’ts of setting up global partnerships.
- A Global Recycling Network: How to Leverage Networks from the US, Korea and Europe to Globally Create a New Business, From Establishing Relationships, Finding Partners, Research, to Business Development: Henry Brandhorst, Co-Managing Director, CHZ Technologies
- Case Studies from Partnerships – China and US: Ray Liang, Managing Director for NSF Center for Composites Infrastructure, West Virginia University and Pingcai Lu, General Manager, Jiangsu Bi-gold New Material Technology Co., Ltd.
- Stephen Rawson, RTM International
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Reception and Exhibit Displays
Reflect on the day and keep the conversation going at this reception.
Thursday, June 28, 2018:
7:30 am – 8:30 am: Breakfast and Exhibit Displays
Start the day off right with breakfast and networking.
8:30 am – 8:40 am: Review of Day One Highlights
8:40 am – 10:30 am: Market and Technology Trends to Watch
While different regions of the world are different, there are some common trends in technology that will affect the industry. Understanding how these trends each region and your business is important as companies operate globally and form partnerships around the world with their suppliers and customers. A number of viewpoints will be presented during this session, which will follow with a panel discussion, to help you gain an understanding of what is important to watch over the next few years and how you may want to modify your business to make sure you are poised to take advantage of the upcoming opportunities.
- Market Trends from Around the Globe
- The Global Nanocomposite and Graphene Market: Terrance Barken, President, The Graphene Council
- Automotive Lightweighting Technologies: Probir Guha, Vice President, Global Composites Innovation, Coats North America
- Technology Trends on Additive, Energy and Other Composite Applications: Shridhar Nath, Wind Blade Technology Leader, GE Global Research
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Sustainability and Recycling
- Smart Materials
10:30 am – 11:00 am: Exhibit Displays and Networking Break
11:00 am – 11:30 am: Panel Discussion: Market and Technology Trends to Watch
11:30 am – 12:30 pm: The Business Case for Global Composites Standards
This session will explore the various standards globally, and discuss why it is important that the industry move to some common standards in key market segments. Updates on current standards and examples of where these have been successfully will be shared.
- The Business Case for Global Composites Standards: Jaap van de Woude, University of Eindhoven
- Innovations in the Use of Fire, Smoke & Toxic Fume Compliant High Performance Composites in the Global Building & Construction Market: JP Schroeder, FST, North America, Scott Bader
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm: Exhibit Displays and Lunch
Enjoy lunch while you take advantage of the last chance to visit with the exhibitors.
1:30 pm – 2:15 pm: Finance and Investment in the Global Composites Industry
How does the composites industry compare as an investment prospect? What are the most effective means of raising capital to fund international growth? And how are investors evaluating our industry? This session explores these questions and more.
- Michael Del Pero, Managing Director, FocalPoint Partners, LLC
- Shane Weyant, CEO/President, Creative Pultrusions, Inc.
2:15 pm – 3:00 pm: Strategic Planning for Composites Manufacturers – From Expansion to Acquisition
As companies to grow, there are many considerations. From expansion of current market lines, expanding globally, forming partnership, or getting acquired, the manufacturing landscape is always changing and consolidation is accelerating. This session explores considerations from what has already been discussed and provides some new considerations.
- Global Trade Considerations
- Selecting a New Territory to Expand
- Managing Across Multiple Territories
3:00 pm– 3:15pm: Networking Break
Refreshments are provided as you take a short break and talk with fellow attendees.
3:15 pm – 4:15 pm: Capturing the Mindshare of End-users, Designers, Architects, and Engineers
Helping others understand the potential of composites and how to design with them is key to the increased adoption of composites materials in all areas. Eliminating barriers and preconceptions about composite materials is a start, as well as thinking differently about design. This session provides examples of tools and case studies that have been successful in incorporating the needs of designers into sales, communications and manufacturing and design processes.
- Affordable & Predictable Composites With Virtual Engineering to Remove Cost and Design Barriers: Roger Assaker, CEO, e-Xstream Engineering
- Discover Composites – Global Messages To Use to Inspire the Potential of Composites
4:15 pm – 4:45 pm: Closing Keynote: Thinking in Composites
- Fabio Bressan, Virtual Engineering Manager, Cytec
4:45 pm – 5:00 pm: Conclusion and Wrap Up